The P.G.A. of America has announced that it will no longer be holding its featured event at the Trump National Golf Club in May 2022.
Following the outbreak of violent riots in Washington DC last week, the P.G.A. is attributing the insurgence to President Trump and believes hosting an event at the Trump National Golf Club would be detrimental to their brand.
“It has become clear that conducting the P.G.A. Championship at Trump Bedminster would be detrimental to the P.G.A. of America brand, and would put at risk the P.G.A.’s ability to deliver our many programs, and sustain the longevity of our mission,” Jim Richerson, the P.G.A. of America president, said in a video statement, as reported by New York Times.
However, the Trump Organization responded with a statement saying that the P.G.A. is in of breach of contract.
“We have had a beautiful partnership with the P.G.A. of America and are incredibly disappointed with their decision,” the Trump Organization responded. “This is a breach of a binding contract, and they have no right to terminate the agreement.”
However, chief executive of the PGA, Seth Waugh, insists that the damage hosting the event at Trump National Golf Club could be irreparable for the sporting body.
“Our feeling was, given the tragic events of Wednesday, that we could no longer hold it at Bedminster,” Seth Waugh, chief executive of the P.G.A. of America, told The Associated Press in an interview. “The damage could have been irreparable. The only real course of action was to leave.”
Trump has been lobbying for the PGA to host one of their major events at one of his golf courses and Bedminster secured its PGA tour date back in 2014, long before Trump announced his candidacy for President.